Wednesday 13 May 2015

On Heavy Rotation...

I do have quite a wide ranging taste in music. I like what I like, and what I like I like a lot!!
Today I'm revisiting one of my musical influences [I've been playing guitar since I was11 years old] and most of my favourite musicians are guitarists. I got into Joe Satriani around about 1985/6 when there was a Flexi disc (shit, man! do you remember those?) attached to Guitar Player magazine featuring Joe playing "Power Cosmic/Rush of Love" on one side and Steve Vai doing "Amazing Grace" on the other. A few months later there was an advert in Sounds for Satriani's debut solo album "Not of this Earth" and Vai's "Flexible" album. I was in college in those days so I rushed off to the nearest record store at the time and managed to pick up both albums that day. The Satriani album I loved, the Vai one, not so much - I came to dig Vai a few years later when he cut "Eat 'em and Smile" with David Lee Roth. I've still got those two vinyl discs and the Flexi disc too
Anyway to cut to today: I dug out a few of the Satriani CDs earlier and listened to some of his more recent stuff, which I've not really properly paid attention to, not as much as I used to. This track is my current "bangin' toon" of the moment. It's from the "Satriani LIVE!" album, and features Joe at his best I think. I've seen Joe on tour more times than any other artist, he's playing the UK again this autumn and I'm thinking about going. I haven't been to a gig for about 5-6 years now, last show was Sigur Rós at Bristol Colston Hall. I need to start to get to more gigs again, I used to see a show at least once a month, I love live music but, for reasons I won't go into here, I lost a lot of the passion I had for getting out and letting my hair down. This needs to be remedied...soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment